10 Tips to DJing With Ableton LivePosted on: October, 3, 2009, in
Ableton Live is a great program for music producers and djs alike. It offers great tools for creating music in the moment or doing more linear recordings. I’m going to walk you through how to make smooth dj mix transitions with live the way I do it. I’ve put one three channel eq on each track and set it up so that the numbers on my computer keyboard control the bass frequency kills on each one. I also open all the tracks I want to use in advance and set the warp markers for each song so that I know when I start it that it will be perfectly beatmatched. Keep in mind you have unlimited routing possibilities that allow you to control many perimeters in Live with Midi controllers or your computer’s keyboard.
1. Get your bass kills setup using EQ Three on each track (I use the numbers on my keyboard as controllers) To do this activate the Key button on the top right then select the L on the EQ for low end and press the key you would like to set as the controller. If you are using a midi controller then select Midi on the top right instead of Key.
2. Make sure the 1 marker lines up with beat 1 in the track, and the tempo has to be correct or else you’ll have to add markers throughout the track manually. If you know the tempo is consistent throughout the track but the tempo is not set correctly then line up the one marker on beat 1 and then go to beat 8 or so and line that one up without double clicking to the corresponding beat. This should change the tempo automatically to match.
3. Press play on track 1
4. Let it get into a groove and eventually bring in track 2 with the bass killed
5. When you want swap the basses out so the track 1 bass is cut and track 2 is bumpin’
6. Fade or cut out track 1 volume
7. Bump it
8. It’s all about timing
9. You can press start on track 2 within four beats before the 1st beat you want to start on and live will automatically start on beat
10. Keep the beats bangin’ when people are dancing (many people don’t like it when a groove goes into some long break right when they were feelin’ it.)
If you have any questions of how to do any of this stuff then feel free to contact me through my website and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
My name is DJ Story
Check out my website: http://www.intuitivebeats.com
Tags: Ableton Live DJ Lesson, Ableton Live DJ Tutorial, An Introduction to DJing with Ableton, Beginning Ableton DJ Tutorial, djing in ableton live, DJing Tips, DJing Tips for Ableton Live, djing with ableton live, live djing